Director of Food & Beverage – 5 star Hotel – New York USA.
The Director of Food & Beverage is responsible for managing the direction and organization of all activities and services for multiple venues within the hotel/hotels with emphasis on delivering outstanding guest service, employee productivity and financial profitability
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director oversees all aspects of guest service, food and beverage quality, inventory management, outlet reservations and occupancy, systems maintenance, department management, monitoring and developing team member performance including providing supervision, coaching, recognition, reward, and discipline and conflict resolution.
In addition, the Director must ensure compliance with health, safety, sanitation and alcohol awareness standards and responsible for recruiting, interviewing and training all employees.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- Oversees the management of the employees and activities of the organization’s multiple food and beverage venues
- Overall coordination of the restaurant operations, to plan and maintain production, budget and growth goals for the restaurant
- Develops strategic and operational plans for the hotel/hotels, sets the goals, leads the execution, measures the results, deploys the learnings and identifies the operational opportunities of the venues
- Monitor budgets and payroll records and review financial transactions to ensure that expenditures are authorized and budgeted for multiple venues
- · Monitoring and reviewing information from supplies, events, or the environment, to detect or assess problems
- Recruiting, training, developing staff, management and department heads
- Providing guidance and direction to employees including setting performance standards and monitoring performance
- Review work procedures and operational problems to determine ways to improve service, performance, or safety
- Establish standards for employee performance and guest service
- Ensures cleanliness, excellent service, and guest satisfaction
- Work closely with management team to collaborate and achieve common goals
- Maintains a positive and upbeat demeanor and be a leader to inspire and motivate staff at all times
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations
- Monitor compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation, serving, and building maintenance in lodging and dining facilities
- Review invoices for products and services related to the department; analyses variances and takes corrective actions
- Organize and direct worker training programs, resolve personnel problems, hire new staff, and evaluate employee performance in dining and lodging facilities
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and repairs, and coordinate a variety of services such as waste removal and pest control
- Keep records required by government agencies regarding sanitation, and food subsidies when appropriate
- Record the number, type, and cost of items sold to determine which items may be unpopular or less profitable
- Works closely with the culinary team in planning menus and food utilization for each individual venue based on anticipated number of guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs
- Review menu and analyze recipes to determine labor and overhead costs and assign prices to menu items
- Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned
- Establish and enforce nutritional standards for dining establishments based on accepted industry standards
- Monitor employee activities to ensure liquor regulations are obeyed
- Completes a quarterly written review of the food and beverage operation which includes suggestions for increasing revenue and cost management to be presented to management company and owners
- Establishes and maintains annual revenue and cost projections which are to be reviewed and revised on a quarterly basis
- Possesses the ability to communicate with all levels of personnel and guests. At all times maintains a professional relationship with all personnel and guests while protecting the interests of the company
- Develops and maintains effective communications between all operating departments including the hotel. Uses purchasing and inventory knowledge to track costs, transfers, waste, promo and forecasting in all revenue centers for food and beverage
- Monitors all purchases of materials and supplies
- Seeks alternative forms of advertising and promotion including but not limited to electronic marketing and communication (website, email, Facebook, Twitter)
- Approves menus by consulting with GM, Finance and Chef; reviews potential food and beverage menus, evaluates past popularity of menu options and develops new menus based on trends
- Creates in-house personnel promo to encourage employees to be patrons of the company
- Creates and implements unique events to drive revenue every month
- Directs large annual events
- Ability to manage change effectively
- Proves leadership that helps the company achieve its overall performance and profit goals
- Provides leadership to other departments to help them achieve their goals and objectives
- Communicates the goals and objectives of the company and inspires/empowers department heads, management and employees to achieve those goals
- Assists General Manager of the Hotel/Hotels in implementing company goals
- Performs other job-related duties as required by the General Manager
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 lb. without assistance.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Remain in stationary position for extended periods of time.